The course of ageing.
New study: Which ageing type are you?
Researchers at Stanford University in California (USA) found that there are at least four different ways in which the body ages over the course of a lifetime.
Everyone is different and so they age more slowly or faster. The ageing process can have different effects: The youthful appearance disappears, the body becomes weaker, and at some point mental performance also decreases. No wonder you want to stop this process. Although the source of eternal youth has not yet been found, scientists at Stanford University in California have gained new knowledge on the subject.
The team around geneticist Michael Snyder was able to identify four ageing types in a group of test persons. Will the new information help to slow down the ageing process?
Ageing type is linked to a specific organ or process in the body
In their study, which appeared in the journal “Nature Medicine” in January, they investigated the ageing of the body using biochemical methods. 106 women and men aged 29 to 75 years were followed over a period of several years. Later, the researchers concentrated on 43 subjects. They collected data on their genes, proteins in the blood, cytokines (proteins that regulate cell growth, among other things), metabolic products and microbes. As the study progressed, the values changed and the researchers were able to identify the different ageing variants.
Each type is linked to a particular organ or process in the body. Some have changes in metabolism, others in the immune system, liver or kidney function. People whose aging process had an effect on their metabolism developed a certain haemoglobin in their blood, which could be an indication of diabetes. People of the immune aging type are more susceptible to inflammation in the body. Not everyone can be automatically assigned to one of these ageing types, but mixed forms are also possible. And there are probably other types that could be discovered in further research.
This video shows you which food you should eat regularly to stop your aging process and look young!
13 Best Anti-Aging Foods That Everyone Should Eat
This tropical fruit has a buttery texture that is sweet and delicious. This one might not be something you’re totally familiar with which is why we put it at the top of our list! There are a few varieties, but today we’re gonna focus on the most common which is the red papaya.
Getting into a walnut might be difficult, but the benefits are worth it! Long ago people thought walnuts were healthy for the brain because they actually look like a brain, and in reality they weren’t wrong!
This brightly coloured food is great for anti aging by keeping your skin looking young and smooth. They’re high in anti inflammatory fatty acids and are rich in vitamin A which can help us shed old skin cells so new glowing skin can shine through.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Ok, this one isn’t exactly a food, but it’s still something you ingest so we’re counting it. You wanna make sure you’re getting the extra virgin kind to reap all the healthy, anti aging benefits.
Good old water – does it ever let us down in the health department? Staying hydrated is pretty important as water keeps our bodies functioning at top performance. Did you know that the thirst sensation becomes weaker as we age? That means the older we get, the more important it is that we keep ourselves hydrated.
The research team’s vision: staying healthy longer
The classics among doctors’ instructions to stay healthy for longer are well known: Eat a healthy diet, exercise, do not smoke and do not drink alcohol. But now, with the study, everyone could have their ageing type determined and take targeted action against the risks. With regular tests, the ageing process can be monitored and, if necessary, intervention can be taken. “It can help individuals to accurately identify risk factors for their health and identify the areas where they are most likely to have problems later,” Snyder said, explaining the benefits of knowing your own . Those who change their lifestyle in time can become biologically even younger.
Michael Snyder summarised the findings of his study in a comparison: “As your car gets older, some components will probably wear out faster than others, such as the gearbox or brakes. And you need to know these parts to ideally repair them”.
13 Foods To Avoid If You Want Younger Looking Skin
1. Sugar: This is a reason it is on top of our list. Sugar is the biggest aging contributing to food. It interferes with collagen and elastin, which are your skin’s favorite proteins. When sugar is broken down, it binds to collagen. This binding to collagen can cause wrinkles and sagging of the skin.
2. Energy Drinks: Energy drinks are loaded with refined sugars, acids, and other harmful chemicals. They can damage your teeth, and your smile will never be the same again, making you look older.
3. Deep-Fried Foods: Cooking foods at high temperatures increases inflammatory compounds known as “advanced glycation end products” or AGEs. And yes, AGEs do indeed age you.
4. Processed Meats: Processed meats like salami, bacon, and sausages have become an integral part of the daily diet. But they can really speed up the aging process.
5. Fast Foods: Your much loved fast foods like pizza, hamburgers and french fries, don’t do you any favors in the aging department.
6. Vegetable Oils: Vegetable oils like canola and soybean, are highly processed and can lead to damaged cell membranes. This fastens ageing process and leaves you with an increased risk of heart disease.
7. Alcohol: Alcohol affects the functioning of your liver the body’s number-one detoxifying organ. When the liver is damaged or slowed in its ability to function well and flush toxins from your system, the effects like acne, wrinkles and sallowness are visible on your skin.